Ottawa's got a whole lot of poutine. And me and my team of intrepid poutiners are gonna get fat trying all sorts of combinations of potatoes, cheese and gravy. It's going to be a bit like that documentary, Supersize Me. Only probably - probably - we won't change your world or anyone's perceptions of anything. Oh, and we won't criticize overly fattening foods. Poutine, while wonderfully edible, is no Mother Theresa or Gandhi... But that's just 'cause the world outside Canada doesn't know about it yet.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Guest Post: Pataterie Hulloise, Classic Poutine After-Dark

Obviously I can't try all the poutine in Ottawa-Gatineau myself. And plus, I've promised myself a relatively healthy fall 2010. So beyond vegetarian poutine, which is made with mushroom gravy and is definitely good for you because of the word "vegetarian", poutine will - out of necessity - become a treat rather than a lifestyle choice. Which brings me back to my point: I can't do it alone, so guest bloggers will just have to help me fill the void.

My first guest blogger, Jason, visited the Pataterie Hulloise just over the bridge in Quebec. He promises to keep Poutine Scene updated while on the road this summer. And for the record, he referred to this poutine experience as "poutine baselining" before he leaves the Ottawa-Gatineau region... and that's my kind of poutine guest blogger.



Pataterie Hulloise: Classic Poutine After-Dark

Since 1982, Hull's been serving up the good stuff at 303 Saint-Joseph Blvd. This is the classic brown sauce 'bold' poutine; tonnes of squishy curds, well-balanced sauce, and great homemade fries. I'm not sure how many potatoes the fine folks at the Pataterie go through but every time I'm in there, someone's peeling more. It's that kind of poutine that leaves your stomach all comfy and saying, "just a little more, you can do it".

Great for late night cravings while out and about. They make poutine the right way; they build it up in layers. Good base of fries, generous scoops of curds, then comes the sauce... and then, they do it all again (and depending on the size... again). No 'unhappy endings' in these poutines; lots of cheese all the way to the last bite. You can get extra cheese or sauce but I've never needed to. .Noticed tonight there are different sauces; classic, BBQ, white... I've always gone classic. I'll have to try the others now that I know.

One of the capital region's favourite poutines. If you haven't done it... do it. MMMmmmmmm.

The portions are excellent bang for the buck.
Go big or go home: Familial $12.32 (tax-in)

2 comments:

  1. This guy looks like another good poutine enthusiast! This poutine is really good. Love the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this made me hungry and seeing the picture of that amazing poutine made me hungry for Poutine at the Pataterie Hulloise, thanks for the heads up about this place!

    ReplyDelete